Thursday, May 1, 2014

Why I Write

Day 1. Axis of Ineptitude Challenge.  Hmm. Why I write. I started this blog back in 2009 to earn points in a contest put together by the Fab Fatties. I had no clue about blogging, other than reading other peoples blogs. To tell the truth, I still don't have much of a clue, which is why I have unread books on how to set up your blog. No fancy tabs, no fancy buttons. Blogger changed settings on me a year ago, and I still can't figure out how to fix it. Conferences seem to focus only on WordPress. I have a WordPress site that I've posted on maybe twice. WP scares me. I really don't have a clue how to use it. But hey, I have a book or two. Unopened. I also have a secret blog, a ranch related blog, and a fun blog some friends and I have together. 

Why. Why do I write. Sometimes it's because I need to rant. Case in point, when I was still a member of the Watchers of Weight group, I got really pissed off at how they push desserts. Come off it people. You didn't get fat from celery sticks and low fat cheese. Using low fat versions of ingredients doesn't counteract the fact that the recipes were full of sugar. And who eats a one inch square of a dessert? Not me. I'll snarf down half a pan in one sitting. Which is precisely WHY I don't make sweets very often. If I'm hungry, and in "feed me bitch from hell" mode, you'd better not be between me and a pan of brownies.

Other times I need to talk about something that happened. Sometimes, it's something that inspired me. Lately, it's more likely to be something that knocked the wind out of my sails, like realizing the amount of weight I need to lose is the equivalent to the big-ass bag of pool salt I hauled out back the other day. For the most part, I keep it superficial. I admire bloggers who can really let it all hang out. I'm not one of them. Maybe it's because I'm an astrological screw up (Sun in Gemini, Moon and Rising Sign in Scorpio), but the thoughts and feelings than swirl around in the murky depths of my mind will stay right where they are, thank you very much.

Then there are the fun reasons I write. I like to cook, take pictures of my food, bore you with recipes. I don't consider myself the healthiest eater, but I'm trying to get better. Some days, I'd say I love to cook, but having to clean up the damned mess I make in the kitchen day in and day out really dampens my affection for cooking. If anyone wants to come clean up after me, I will be happy to say I love cooking again. I like to eat and drink lots of wine, too, which is why I also need to exercise.

Yeahhh, exercise...I like it, I hate it, I need to do it... meh. Maybe I'll start writing about exercise again...or start to. God knows I need to be accountable, considering I've registered for a marathon. That sentence both excites and scares me. Yay, lets go run lots and lots of miles and run a marathon before I turn 50. Which, if you didn't know, will be in the middle of next year. When the hell did I get this old?

Bottom line, I think I write to inspire myself. Face it, very few people even read my blog, so I doubt I'm inspiring them with my pearls of wisdom. Might as well be a smart ass and entertain myself! Oh, and since it's the first of the month: Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit. :)

Hey, if you want to play along, come join the fun.



Axis of Ineptitude

7 comments:

  1. I read your blog because I'm interested in what you have to say. And because you're a cool person. So keep on writing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing for yourself is probably the best reason there is for writing. It doesn't matter *what* you get out of it, just that you're doing it, finding inspiration in your own words, sharing something, and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you recognize both the "needs" and "wants" and have space for both in your writing. I'm glad I found you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what I think? Because I have that same stack of unopened books about blogging... well, technically, I have the unread links on pinterest but same diff... I am almost afraid to "take it more seriously" as a business or what have you because I worry it will lose it's joy. Write for you. Write whatever makes your heart sing. I'm looking forward to following along in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My entire life is based around entertaining myself, there ain't no shame in that . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you hit the nail on the head at the end there - we're all just entertaining ourselves and sometimes we deign to think we're entertaining other people, but no, mostly it's because it keeps US entertained. That's about as honest as it gets, and I thank you for bringing us to that Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good reasons to write but I especially like that you write to inspire yourself!
    Nice to "meet' you!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete