Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's Soup Season

We haven't had any freak snowstorms in Texas, but it is cooler these days, and the overcast sky is making me think of soup. Luckily I didn't roast my butternut squash or kale on Sunday afternoon, when I roasted my fennel and acorn squash. I remembered I had left them in the oven at 6am on Monday. Doesn't it just figure?

Butternut Squash, Andouille and Kale Soup (serves about 12)

1 T olive oil
half an onion, diced
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 quarts of chicken or vegetable stock
1 large bunch of kale, rinsed, stemmed and chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup farro
1 t seasoned salt
1 package (4 links) of Aidells sausage (I used cajun andouille because that's what I had, but any of their sausages would be wonderful)

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil and the diced onion. Stir and cook until the onion is softened. Add in the cubed butternut squash and the stock. Simmer about 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is slightly tender. Add in the seasoning, chopped kale, black beans, farro and sausage. Cook another 30 minutes, until the farro is cooked and the sausage is warmed through. A serving is 5 Weight Watchers plus points.

No comments:

Post a Comment