Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Spark

Wow, I really dropped off the face of the earth. Well, not exactly, but I sure haven't been blogging much these last few months. Life happens. I can't say that I'm happy to see 2012 in my rearview mirror. I had some good times, for sure (hi Jen and Heather!!!), but I also had some really sucky times. Australia: it's a nice place to visit. The flight is hell. Add the reason we went, and it's doubly so.


So, here I am in 2013. The Aussie and I survived the end of the Mayan calendar, Texas White Christmas snowmageddon / icemageddon, had a great visit from my sister, and had a quiet New Year's Eve with The Aussie and our gang. That's over now, and it's time to regroup, get my head out of my *ss back in the game, and start treating myself better.

Mentally, I have been struggling to get my act together. I'm not the only one. My dear friend Shannon has put out the call and is rallying the troops! We all need to find our spark. I've been reading "It Starts With Food" and "Practical Paleo." I'm not sure I'm looking to go so extreme as to give up my milk in my coffee, but I do need to feed myself more  nutritious food and cut back on the processed "food" that I gravitate towards. I seldom have fast food or soda, so they aren't big concerns of mine. I do, however, like my chocolate and wine. And Chinese food. And cheese... Darn you, TJ's for those lovely little mini brie bites. 

Unfortunately, I've found that the older I get, the harder it is to get weight off.  It isn't just how I deal with food that needs a spark. I finally set up my Active Link and am getting a better picture of how much I am and am not moving. I haven't been doing too badly, but I need to do more. I signed up to run Bold In The Cold 5k in a couple of weeks. My cousin and I have done this the last two years, so it will be good to keep the tradition going. It won't be pretty. He hasn't run all year, I haven't since the summer, and we both have put on some weight. I don't care. I'm doing it anyway, won't even wear my Garmin, and all I have to do is finish.

Healthwise, I finally got myself to a doctor to discuss my owngoing health issues. I'm not looking forward to it, but I have an endoscopy scheduled. Hopefully some light will be shed as to why I continue to have a problem keeping certain foods down.

I also signed up to do Roni's diet bet challenge. I had never heard of this site, but thought "why not?" 4% in a month is a reasonable goal. I can't believe how much activity this challenge is generating!

All in all, January should be an interesting month. I wish all of you the best blessings for your health, well being and prosperity in this new year.

Peace.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are part of the Spark :) You are for certain one huge inspiration to me and I love ya! Maybe I need to have a 5k yearly tradition because as of right now the thought is way to easy to push aside. My food plan (for now) is to just do better. Better than I have been. Pretty easy step given current habits but doable. So maybe just focus on better with the wine, chocolate and cheese. I am looking forward to your journey with or with out your head in your a** lol XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you nothing but luck in the New Year! May you dancedancedance and dancedancedance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a 2013 filled with health and happiness Kyra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear friend. So glad you've survived what sounds like a roller coaster holiday and are settling into some 2013 changes just like I am. Tara and are also reading "It Starts With Food" about the #whole30 start and discovering A LOT! I wish you luck on your adventures in finding what works for you.

    I'm all signed up for Roni's DietBet too. I'm planning to blog about my approach a little later next week, but it's been a good way to motivate!

    Lots of love from Halifax. - xo M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had some similar health issues with eating. Worked with a naturopath and they are almost all resolved. Did go the "traditional" medical route first with the endoscopy n stuff, too. That test isn't bad at all. Gotta say, I much prefer working with naturopaths and chiropractors. :-) i have given up a couple food groups, which can be a challenge, but it's certainly worth it to feel better. And actually, sometimes it's not the food group, but the additives put IN them that are messing people up. We've come a long way from the natural foods of our grandparents. :-P I'm really happy that I now have an MD that incorporates natural remedies to heal the body naturally and doesn't go straight for a pill to mask a symptom. She's a rare treasure! Here's to a 2013 filled with healing bodies and healthy choices!

    ReplyDelete