Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quality vs Quantity

Many of you who chat with me on Twitter and FB know that The Aussie recently went to Australia because his mother is very ill. He's back now, which I am immensely grateful for. This continues to be a very difficult and sobering time for us. We are experiencing first-hand that a person's quality of life is as important as quantity of life. We don't quite know how to deal with the tipping point where quantity means little without quality. Being poked, prodded, hooked up to machines, in pain, and in the hospital is not quality, and we accept that. But we don't want to miss the quantity either. We don't want to say goodbye...

2 comments:

  1. Having lost my father very unexpectedly at the end of 2010, and now having had a year without him, I can honestly say that as hard as it was, I am grateful that he "went" as fast as he did and on his terms. I will forever remember him as alive and active and vital. But there will probably always be a part of me that wishes his heart attack hadn't killed him right away and that I'd been able to see him again, even if it meant seeing him hooked up to machines and in pain. Either way, it's hard...my thoughts are with you both!

    ReplyDelete