Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Perfect summer salad - too bad it's winter...

I keep making these salads that would be perfect in warm weather. Granted, it was 75 here last weekend, so I guess that would qualify as warm for January. Recently I heard about mini-cucumbers, or Persian cucumbers. I hadn't noticed them in my local grocery store, but I found them, not with the regular cucumbers, but in the "fancy packaged vegetables" section. You know, the neighborhood where the baby carrots and skinny green beans in their steam-in bags live. So I picked up a package. It totally is not salad weather today (I have a pot of soup on) - we have gotten 7 inches of rain in less than 24 hours, and it was thundering and lightning all night. So what do I make? A salad. Very tasty, too.

Asian Mini-Cucumber Salad

4 mini cucumbers, sliced
1 t sesame oil
1 t rice vinegar
1 T lime ponzu
1/2 t Togarashi seasoning

Mix together the oil, vinegar and ponzu. Dress the sliced cucumber and sprinkle the Togarashi on top.

1 comment: