Thursday, May 13, 2010

The One Where I Get My *ss Handed To Me On A Platter

Hubris. Dictionary.com defines this as excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

I really learned the meaning of this today. Yesterday I tweeted about running for 5 minutes straight, twice, when I was at the gym with my neighbor on Tuesday evening. Hey, I think to myself. I had no problem with it on Tuesday, so I'll head straight to week 5 training in the C25K program. Run 5 minutes, not a problem. Boy, was I wrong. There is absolutely no correlation between being able to run for 5 minutes straight on a treadmill at an air-conditioned gym and being able to run for 5 minutes straight on my neighborhood sidewalks on a hazy, hot and humid Dallas afternoon. Total. Fail. I barely made it through the first 5 minutes running. The second and third running intervals I couldn't do it. I couldn't make it all the way through either of them running. I walked. I finished, but I walked.

When I got back I took one of the "I just worked out and I'm hot and sweaty" pictures, but it was just too horrendous to post. I like pink, but that was not an attractive shade on me. So instead, I'll just show you a picture of the strawberry banana protein shake I made afterwards. My face was somewhere between the shade of the shake and the shade of the straw...



The next time I get my ass handed to me on a platter, can the platter at least match my decor?

8 comments:

  1. Whoa! you are way too hard on yourself. You did not quit, you finished your workout to the best of your ability given the circumstances (hot & humid are not good running conditions...eww)!

    Be proud of what you did and what you can do. You can run 5 minutes but today was not a good day for it.

    much love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, don't be too hard on yourself you did a great job contunuing and not quittting all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just tell you that I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks they could run in the a/c gym and then do the same outside and be left gasping for air? ;) The difference between you and me, Kyra, is I *did* stop. I'm way impressed that you didn't! You're an inspiration, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some days are harder than others. This one was a wake up call. The weather will definately play a role in your workout. I've noticed it here in central Texas. My runs are not as fun as they were last month! You have come a long way! Remember that! You can finish this! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey now! No need to get down on yourself. The most important thing is that you DID it. You didn't quit. You finished even if it was at a lower intensity. I think that matters more. :)

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ran! Any running in any form or amount of time is commendable. I loved your post at Trish's and I just know you are going to do fantastic on the 5k.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the problem with those treadmills, unfortunately in the real world the sidewalks /road do not move. Like the others said, you still continued. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I hear ya...the other thing to think about is the treadmill does half the work for you. It brings your leg back after you've made the step forward...
    I found that out too...YOU will get there, because you don't give up!
    One step at a time...

    ReplyDelete