Monday, January 11, 2010

We aren't the only ones getting bigger...


I made an observation the other day. People aren't the only ones bigger than they were 10 or 20 years ago. Most of the "whole chicken" recipes in 365 Ways To Cook Chicken call for the chicken to be about 3 pounds. The chicken on the right is about 3 pounds. 2.87 to be exact. When I first picked it up at the store I thought they accidently packaged a half chicken. Nope. That's a whole chicken. The chicken on the right is 5.4 pounds.

So a recipe calls for 3 pound bird and it serves 4. If you make it with a bigger bird, which is almost all that's available these days, is it still going to feed 4? Yup, it probably will given the way many people eat now. The only thing is, I don't hear the chicken saying "supersize me," do you?

2 comments:

  1. yeah, what's up with that? Those bigger chickens always seem to have a lot of fat on them too! I know there's different sized chickens but please don't just sell me a fat one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a great blog and I just gave you an award! Details at http://bit.ly/3UdCE9
    Keep up the great work, Kyra!

    ReplyDelete