Friday, February 25, 2011

Fast, Easy, Fresh

My local Border's is, unfortunately, one of many that are closing. The Aussie and I stopped in last weekend. My word, the line was as bad as for the midnight release of Breaking Dawn, but without the squealing girls. I immediately headed over to the cookbook section. I may make the same things over and over again, but I love cookbooks. One of the first I picked up was Bon Appetit's Fast Easy Fresh cookbook. I'm so glad I did. It has some great recipes. Last night I made sauteed chicken with garlic and rosemary. I did substitute balsamic vinegar for the red wine vinegar, but it was super easy. The recipe calls for chicken thighs, but I'm sure you could make it with chicken breast if you prefer white meat. The recipe serves 4, but I cut it in half. My version is below.

Sauteed Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary

1 pound of chicken thighs, with bone and skin
1 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1 T chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
1 T balsamic vinegar
salt/pepper

Heat heavy skillet over high heat and add oilive oil to skillet. I used my huge cast iron skillet. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet, skin side down, and brown for about 7 minutes. Flip chicken over and brown on the other side for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through (at least 165 degrees). This took 20-25 minutes for me because one of the pieces was larger than the others. The recipe calls for 15 minutes, but I don't like any red near the bone, so I cooked it longer.

Transfer the chicken to a plate. If there is a lot of drippings in the skillet, drain all but 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic and the chopped rosemary. Saute for a minute. Add the chicken broth and the vinegar. Reduce the sauce by half, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the skillet and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Serve with sauce spooned over the chicken pieces.



My thoughts: this tasted wonderful. I usually give my chicken skin to The Aussie, so having the sauce to spoon over the chicken was really lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment