Monday, September 27, 2010

Canning


It looks like my first attempts at canning have been successful. So far I've canned 7 half pints of strawberry preserves and 6 half pints of pepper jelly. The pepper jelly has apricot, red onion, jalapenos and anaheim peppers and is so pretty. In the future, I need to carefully write down the exact amount of ingredients I need though. Instead of 3/4 of a pound of jalapenos, I ended up buying 3 pounds. Oops. We're not much on salsa (I know, and I live in Texas, right?) but I guess I'm going to end up making some anyway. And canning it. For presents. For everyone. (I can leave jars of salsa on the front steps of neighbors I don't know, can't I?)

Next up: cardamom plum jam, nectarine jam and spiced apple butter from Canning For A New Generation by Lisana Krissoff

4 comments:

  1. So pretty! I bet it taste great too! You could become the Salsa Fairy!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look pretty! I used love canning it is all the rage around here this time of year. Homemade jelly is the best by far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can send that pepper jelly and salsa my way!! WE LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures! Do you have a dehydrator?

    ReplyDelete