Thursday, September 8, 2016

Home Chef - Subscription Meal Box

There are so many meal planning boxes out there, it's hard to figure out which company is best for you. Do you go with the boxes you see advertised on tv all of the time, like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron? Do you try a different one like Plated, Peach Dish or Green Chef? If you don't like to do any prep, there's always Terra's Kitchen. Are their recipes any good? Is my husband going to eat it? In my case, probably not for this last one; he doesn't like to try new things in case he doesn't like it and it becomes a waste of food. (Household Tip: When you have three dogs, there's no such thing as wasted food, unless it's something they can't eat)

I'd toyed with the idea of subscribing to a box just to see if I can get some new dinner ideas. I know how to cook, I just get bored. A couple of weeks ago I saw some delicious looking food pictures posted by a dog parent friend on FB. I asked if he subscribed to a box, and he told me he did, one called Home Chef. I wasn't at all familiar with this box, but I looked it up, thought it sounded decent, and asked if he had a referral link. It wasn't too expensive, so I signed up, and my first box was delivered today!


The food is very well packed, with insulation and cooling packs. (Their brochure says that the packaging and containers are all recyclable, even the ice packs). The meat was packaged separately from the other meal ingredients, surrounded by additional cooling packs.


You get a binder with an information sheet on basic storage and preparation. You also get full page sized recipe cards for each meal in your order, pre-hole punched so that you can keep them in your binder.


Here's where it got a little weird, though. When I signed up, my two pre-selected meals were chicken with green peppercorn sauce and truffled three cheese flatbread. I added on patio bbq steak sandwich because it looked good, like something the husband would enjoy.


They didn't include the meal kit for the three cheese flatbread. They sent two meal kits for the green peppercorn chicken. Unfortunately, they didn't bother sending two packets of chicken breast. So I have a second bag of veggies and fixings. I immediately sent them an email letting them know about this mistake. I've gotten back an automatic response email, but no one has contacted me yet.


Here are the ingredients they sent for the bbq steak sandwich.The produce looks very fresh, the rolls are reasonably soft. Lots of herbs and cheese. The box ingredients are listed on the recipe card, and they also let you know what you'll need from your kitchen.

In Your Box:
.9 oz butter
2 ears of corn
1 red onion
5 parsley sprigs
2 hoagie rolls
2 flat iron steaks
3 oz cheddar cheese slices
1 T dark chili powder
3 oz bbq sauce
1 oz baby arugula

Since it's still nice and hot outside, I'll be grilling tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Have you subscribed to a recipe box? Which one did you choose, and what did you think?

10 comments:

  1. This is so healthy! thanks for giving me an idea about what to eat. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post thanks for sharing this with us. hospitals in Lahore provide best diet plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I'm just starting out on my fitness journey and not sure if this is something I could indulge in at the moment. *LOL.
    I have been big for most of my life and being an avid food lover, this is really torturous. I really need a diet plan that'll help in keeping my 'cravings' in check. I had been thinking of signing up with any effective online fitness courses that’ll help with providing diet plans and exercises to get myself going at this. I’ve gone through this particular review https://greatbigminds.com/best-diet-to-lose-belly-fat/ and it looks viable to me, though I am still not certain if it’s as easy as it sounds. Would definitely appreciate a second opinion if you think this is something I could commit into or better yet you can recommend one that I could possible look into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get enough of this post. It's so inspiring and well worth to share.
    Here's something I wrote too and hopefully your readers will enjoy it too.
    Source link here

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reasons comprise infective contagion, viral infection and, less typically, chemical irritation. Treatment normally includes antibiotics, painkillers and anti-inflammatory treatment. Full retrieval can take place in just a few days. Early Analysis of Epididymitis means early Epididymitis cure. Make sure you get a remedial diagnosis and Natural Remedies for Epididymitis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natural Treatment for Granuloma Annulare that can help manages this condition naturally. Herbal Supplement can decrease itching and the occurrence of skin lesions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strong Women Quotes is one of the way to motivate yourself to stay strong and fit. Although liked your content and its essence

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natural Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy that may provide relief for the patient. Herbal Supplement suggests helping manage this condition and treat causes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natural Treatment for Retinitis Pigmentosa available to slow vision loss in RP or associated retinal disorders. Herbal Supplement used to treat or reduce the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://blog.storymirror.com/read/yulq0thh/the-best-way-to-get-rid-of-granuloma-annulare-at-home

     Herbal Supplement for Health and Skin Diseas to help improve the appearanceHome Remedies for Granuloma Annulare, grape seed extract is one of my favorite ingredients. In medical science, grape seed extractNatural Remedies for Granuloma Annulare is Vitamin E oil.— Herbal Supplement for Granuloma Annulare which may help explainHerbal Remedies for Granuloma Annulare for soothing your skin and reducing inflammation.

    ReplyDelete